by Shivani Khanna
Arbi or Colocasia esculenta is thought to be native to Southern India and Southeast Asia. It is a perennial, tropical plant primarily grown as a root vegetable for its edible starchy corm, and as a leaf vegetable.
Arbi is low in fats and the calorie value chiefly comes from complex carbohydrates. Their protein levels can be comparable to that of other tropical food sources like yam, cassava, potato, plantain, etc. The corms are free from gluten. They carry high-quality phyto-nutrition profile comprising of dietary fiber and antioxidants in addition to moderate proportions of minerals and vitamins.It also contains good levels of some of the valuable B-complex group of vitamins.
Further, the corms provide healthy amounts of some of important minerals like zinc, magnesium, copper, iron, and manganese. In addition, the root has very good amounts of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help regulate heart rate and blood pressure.
Arbi is one of the finest source dietary fibres. Together with slow digesting complex carbohydrates, moderate amounts of fibre in the food help gradual rise in blood sugar levels and for this reason it is a good vegetable to have during fasting.
Khatti Arbi ki Sabji
5 medium arbi
2 tbsp curd/yogurt
1/4 tsp ajwain seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground dried mango powder/amchur
1 tbsp ghee
1. Boil the arbi.
2. Peel and cut the boiled arbi into rounds.
3. Heat a pan on the stove. Add a tablespoon of ghee.
4. In the hot ghee temper the ajwain seeds and red chilli powder.
5. Beat the curd and add it to the spices in the pan. Cook till thick.
6. Take the cut arbi and add them to the pan. Cook till coated in the spice mixture.
7. Add drinking water to cover the arbi mixture and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to simmer and partially cover the pan with a lid.
8. Add the amchur powder to sour the gravy. Adjust the seasoning to make the gravy a blend of salty, chilli and sour.
9. Once the gravy is thick remove from the stove. Serve with Kuttu Roti, Kuttu Puri, Kuttu & Singhara Atta Pakora, Kuttu Paneer Pakora, Samak ke Chawal, Sabudana Khichri.